Saturday, November 3, 2012

Are gay men not interested in Equality anymore ?

Though my time in America has been limited, I am left with this doubt. Whether gay men are really interested in Marriage Equality or any other gay rights issue ? I have met and talked with some people and also chatted with a lot of people online. But whenever I bring up issues relating to same sex marriage or any other gay rights issue they are actually not that interested. This may be because I met with the wrong people or the wrong type, but still isn't it our moral duty as a gay man to at least have a bit of passion.
Of course everyone has an opinion but what is missing is the enthusiasm. There are four states with gay marriage on the ballot, but  most of the guys can't even name what those four states are.
Usually guys from New York and Chicago are the only guys that I have talked with. Some say that it is because people there have had a good "gay" life. I thought at first may be it was because they have never been discriminated or bullied. But that is not the case. Every gay person has gone through at least on episode where people have hurt them either intentionally and sometimes accidentally  In most cases, people have gone through even severe bullying.
Why then, is there this nonchalance ? Is it because all these mattered to them when they were in the closet or is it because they were discriminated a long time ago that they forgot. Once they came out of the closet they really cared about these issues but now these are not the impending issues to them anymore.
One guy said Romney is evil another one said,  "sure Obama should win and but what I want is the election to be over soon." These are some of the responses that I got and it will tell you how much people were interested in these issues. And also there are those group of gay republicans who say equality is not a major concern now and there are things bigger than that.
I seriously can't understand. Someone wants to deny you the very basic right of your life, to be considered equal. And the reason they point out is because you love someone and people think that it's not the priority.
I want to believe that this is because I have been hanging out with the wrong crowd but there is a tiny voice in my head that says, even for that crowd shouldn't this be the priority ?
May be Romney should win and once he questions the rights gays already have and starts validating their marriages and relationships based on his church imposed ideals, may be then people will get riled up about gay rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment