Thursday, November 1, 2012

Hope and It's Implications

Harvey Milk said,
“I know that you cannot live on hope alone, but without it, life is not worth living. And you...And you...And you...Gotta give em hope.”
 Not everyone has the courage to fight but everyone can hope. Hope for a better future, hope for a life with respect, hope to be considered as equals and hope that someday whom they love will not be a concern for others. But for millions around the world, even hope is a luxury that they can't afford to have. If they do hope, they are considered to be deluded and not in touch with reality. But according to me, hoping for something that is never going to happen in their lifetime is not worth hoping for. Hope is overrated.
I have developed this obsession for the past 8 to 9 months since my first trip to America. Every night before I go to bed I type "Gay Marriage" in google news and read through most of the news articles that come up. Ninety percent of what comes up is from America. I have been doing that almost every day for the past 9 months and I have been following the progress that is happening. Because that is the only relief you get when you are trapped in a place where discrimination and homophobia have an unopposed reign.
It's been less than a month since I am back in America but my hope is slowly dwindling away. When Americans make magnificent strides in gay rights, it gives something to hold on, for the millions tucked away in the many corners of the world. If you do not make those strides and if you are willing to let the stubborn ignorant guys dictate on what your marriage is and what rights you can have, then there is little prospect for progress all over the world.
Please don't give up now, we are counting on you. Start the conversation and vote for hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment